Re: [pct-l] John Muir Hut

In a message dated 10/10/1999 3:38:38 AM PST, radney@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< I was quite shocked to read Brian's msg about the John Muir Hut this
morning.  I hope this is not so and that the hut is not scheduled for
demolition. >>

Oops!  Pat, my apologies.  First, the John Muir Hut is NOT, to my knowledge,
scheduled for demolition.  Second, it wasn't my son, Brian, who made that
comment, but his dad (me), who should know better by now than to post
ANYTHING on this list which might be misconstrued by readers.

My reply to Montedodge concerned the demolition of the Dana Yelverton Shelter
in the Goat Rocks Wilderness.  I suggested that the shelter should not have
been torn down and, indeed, should be rebuilt.  The expressed rationale for
tearing it down was to prevent overuse of the immediate area by campers,
which apparently outweighed the structure's benefit as an emergency shelter
in the minds of the decision makers.

It ocurred to me that similar logic could apply to the Muir Hut so, to
reinforce my own opinion about the logic which dictated the destruction of
the Yelverton Shelter, I asked when the Muir Hut was scheduled for
demolition.  Here's the text of my previous message:

"The Dana May Yelverton Shelter it was, and is no more.  Now just a squarish
pile of rubble, obviously man-made -- and so it remains an intrusion upon the
natural beauty of the area -- but made useless as shelter from the storms
that can be so dangerous to hikers.  It should be rebuilt.  BTW, does anyone
know when the John Muir Hut is scheduled for demolition?"

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding by readers. --   Roy Robinson
(TrailDad)