From: Karen Elder [mailto:wild_mind@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 5:42 PM
To: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] News from the Trail: Goforth

Here's another note from Joanne "Goforth" Lennox:

<snip>

   Well, a few "sucker holes" (blue sky) + the wind died some + I
turned around again. At Eagle Pass, just below the traverse I met
Kristian Whittsett (K-Rock) going S. He said, "don't go up
there", it is very sketchy (told 2 other guys it was the most
intense outdoor experience he had had). I decided to go for 1 1/2
hours + evaluate the conditions. It was very windy + I was
walking in a crouch most of the time, + kneeling when the gusts
came thru. At the beginning of the traverse, I had Charcholla's
advice ringing in my ears - "Be Safe" - Kristian had been blown
off his feet twice, I realized I could easily get injured +
hypothermic in minutes - not to mention the whiteout conditions -
the snow + ice + the deteriorating weather. i got blown off my
feet going down + landed on my elbow - it is still sore. Later I
learned that Florian Yan of Australia crawled through some of the
traverse.
   The next day I tried again + got most of the way across the
traverse before coming to a narrow + broken ridge - precipitous
on either side and the rock was covered with ice (verglass); up
to this point the foot-deep snow anchored me into the slope, but
where the ridge was very windswept + exposed, snow hadn't
accumulated + ice had formed (it was colder thanthe previous
day), with heavy steps, I turned around again,

<snip>