[pct-l] Attn: Nomad Tent Users

I'd be interested too in hearing what others have said about this tent too,
although I already have one.  Here's my 11 cents.

I ordered mine last December and had to wait till this June to get mine
which in a way was good as Kurt had made some modifications which made it a
lot better.  Things like increased the size/length, made the vestibule
bigger ( it extends pretty much from the bow to the stern instead of the
amidships to stern (original design))  It gives a wider arc of view out the
left side of the tent closer to 180* vice 90*.   Bigger door and window.
You can fold the vestibule all the way back and be able to look up at the
sky.

Headroom is great as you can sit up without touching the tent sides (5'11")
and you can pack all your gear inside the tent.  The door I would prefer to
be a zipper but the velcro works fine although it is somewhat awkward
sealing it closed.   The bottom edge tends to sag so you need two hands to
close it.  It also packs down real small  but the tent poles (if you don't
use treking poles) and spreader poles made by Kurt are 18" long and in my
view should be shorter for better packing.

The plastic elbow which is at the peak where the poles are stuck into came
loose too easily but he designed it so that even if it came out it wasn't
stitched through the seam.  It was sewn into the excess fabric.  Setting the
tent up is quick enough but not as easy or as quick as my other tent (Kelty
Windfoil Ultralight).

I used it in the Everglades this summer and had quite a bit of condensation
and it was darn hot inside the tent not to mention the skeeters.  Not enough
(cross) ventilation since one side of the tent is wind/waterproof.  But it
worked great at keeping the little blood suckers out.

In cooler weather it is fantastic.  Used it on the Long Trail this
summer/fall and it couldn't be beat.  Forgot my ground cloth but the fabric
still came out unscathed though I was careful where I pitched the tent.

Ken
FireMarshal AT97