Re: [pct-l] light weight packs

In a message dated 9/30/99 7:02:18 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
brick@fastpack.com writes:

<< There are only a few sections with more than 22 miles between water, where
a single-season thru hiker is going to camp twice w/o water. He could
probably get by with 1 - 1.5 gallons even if camping twice if he approached
it right. >>

I always tend to carry more water than I need.  I thought I was going to get
burned by 100 degree days in the desert section.  I don't know if it ever
reached that high a temperature, but in reality it was never a major problem.
There was one 35 mile waterless stretch in southern Cal. where I carried 8
liters and decided to do it in two short days.  After the first day I gave
away one liter and probably dumped another.  I was dumping pounds of water
when I new I could reach the next source.

Atleast, I didn't have to drink my rinse water!

I don't know how quick the sources dry up, but my time the trail this year
had plenty of water, more than the guide or data books revealed.  The
waterless stretches were a nuisance, but not unmanageable.

Sly