[pct-l] Introductions and knee pain

Hello everyone,
    I am new to your discussion group and would like to introduce myself.
Trail name: "MyTie", from CA but now living in Seattle WA working on Master
thesis in nutrition. I have just begun to follow the conversations that have
taken place over the past week and am excited to participate. I have a small
arsenal of trail experience to draw upon and contribute to the discussions.
    First, I have become interested in the recent(?) discussion on knee
pain. These joints take a lot of impact and are built to do so. In my
opinion, most knee problems stem from either genetics which you can not do a
lot about, major injury which is why warming up and stretching is so
important and trekking poles are a good idea, or is diet related. Of course
being a student of nutrition I can pretty much trace all illnesses to the
diet, which plays a big role in how our body functions over time. Poor
dietary habits and/or maldigestion can lead to many chronic illnesses. As
for the case of knee pain, if it is pain experienced after use (ie hiking),
vs pain upon awaking without prior use, then the cartilage that lines the
inner knee has experienced damage. This damage is probably a common
occurrence for backpackers but heals given the proper nutrition and rest. (A
good nights sleep is my justification for carrying a good sleeping pad. I'd
rather sleep good and carry the weight then toss and turn on the pine
needles to save the weight, as some backpackers advocate)As for nutrition,
backpackers have the extra challenge of carrying their food, thus limiting
nutritious food choices.One thing that is essential for proper cartilage
repair is vitamin C. It's cheap, weighs little, and goes a long way to help
in the building and repair of all our connective tissues. About 2-3 grams
per day should suffice. Other nutrients that have scientific research
supporting them are the Glucosamines, as mentioned a few days ago. This
nutrient, that is found in the cartilage and gristle of animal bones
(sardines anyone, is the primary fuel for cartilage building. The best
source, actually the only one that has had consistent research to support,
is the glucosamine sulfates. It's small enough to be absorbed (over 90%
absorbable vs the large and relatively unabsorbable chondroitin sulfates)
and goes straight to the joints for incorporation into cartilage metabolism.
If people would like, I can post the references to several articles showing
drastic improvements in knee pain with the use of the glucosamines. Other
things that need to be addressed with knee pain are food allergies, large
consumption of the inflammatory foods (ie. animal meats, dairy, eggs),
caffeine, alcohol and sugar consumption and the general "cleanliness" of the
diet. Any questions?
     For those of you wondering what pctresearch in my email address is all
about, allow me just a small moment to introduce my Master's thesis. I am
currently working on research that will look at how the body changes during
long-distance thru-hiking and how these changes relate to diet and
performance. I am curious to see how muscle and fat composition change with
extreme exercise during chronic malnurishment. I am currently looking for
participants who would like to be part of this study that will follow a
group of thru-hikers on the PCT in 2000. If anyone would like more
information they can e-mail personally at pctresearch@hotmail.com, or post
to this discussion. Also, if anyone would like to help through donating
anything at all, whether it be money, equipment, a place for our research
team to crash near the PCT, or even some helpful criticism or anecdotal
accounts I would greatly appreciate it.
    Sorry for the length of this posting, I will try to shorten future
MyTie