Re: [pct-l] Lightweight tents

I have a Wanderlust Nomad Lite and used it last year. It is very
lightweight. I would not, however, trust this tent to be "able to
brave harsh storms" It is not designed for that.  It is not a 4 season
tent.

The Wanderlust tent [www.wanderlustgear.com]  is for people who normally
carry a tarp. In fact it is lighter than most tarps. Anyone who uses or is
seriously considering using a tarp should consider the Wanderlust. The tent
WILL keep you dry in a rainstorm and will give you a haven from mosquetoes,
something most tarps can't do. It has a small footprint so it can set up
virtually anywhere. Further, it is realtively inexpensive. However, I don't
think Kurt has them in stock.

Stephenson[ www.warmlite.com has been around for years. Jack, the founder,
is truely a "one of a kind". However, William, his son is reasonable and
easy to deal with. Stephenson will probably have 2RSB [Size =2 R=double
wall S=side windows B=big door] in a variety of colors in stock. The price
is about $600. the Stephenson tent is designed for 120 mph winds.

A great, cheap, is the  Peak One Cobra that I saw at ADZPCTKO last year. It
weighed  3 pounds 14 oz and only cost $79. However, this is not a "brave
harsh storms" tent either but is probably more storm worthy than a
Wanderlust

 Review by someone else:

 Brand and model: Peak 1 Cobra
 Weight: 3 lbs 14 oz.
 Design: Single Pole hoop
 Sleeps: two
 Price: $79.00
 Review: I live in the hot and humid part of Texas (the East), and bought
 this tent for two-and-a-half season use down here. I recommend it for two
 reasons only: the size and weight are very reasonable (under 4 lbs.--when
 dry!-- and packs down to about 12" x 6"); the cost is ridiculously little.
 Though I don't have any regrets about my purchase of the Cobra, I do have
 some warnings for potential buyers.
 First, the tent is not made to provide "comfortable" shelter in extremely
 windy conditions or the heaviest rain. It will work, and keep you dry, but
 it does not have the sturdiness of a three pole design. For me, this is a
 serious consideration which effects the length and quality of my sleep.
 The snapping sound of the wind licking the wet fly did little to provide a
 comfortable night's sleep. The fly is nylon, and has a bit more give when
 wet than a polyester or polyester/nylon blend. Furthermore, if the wind is
 strong enough it can rapidly and temporarily cause a difference in
 pressure between the inside of the tent and the fly. This happens with any
 tent because mesh and nylon slow the flow of air, but, with only one pole
 and stakes to absorb the shock and to hold the tent walls and fly taut and
 separate, the Cobra will eventually loosen just enough to let them collide
 causing a another sort of slapping sound. If you sleep very deeply when
 you are out, ignore this comment--and, keep in mind this only happens in
 the worst conditions. One note here: I was impressed by how dry the tent
 kept me and my stuff--the fly, which makes a very small vesibule over both
 doors extends nearly to the ground.
 Second, it will probably be cramped for more than one person over 6'
 tall--barring intimacy. There is also little headroom for the tall. So,
 though the box says two person, like the Clip Flashlight, it is probably
 more suitable for one or a "couple".
 Last, because the tent must be staked out you should consider the soil you
 will be camping on--it will largely determine the strength of the tent. If
 it is too soft or loose, the tent may, more or less slowly, lose interior
 space and its ability to resist wind and rain. If the soil is too rocky,
 it can be either too loose, or prevent the stakes from being planted
 altogether--both mean no shelter.
 If you buy this tent--BE SURE TO SEAL THE SEAMS. And carry an extra stake
 or two--in case you trip over one in the middle of the night, or bend it
 trying to cleave a rock.
 Do not use this tent in weather with potential snowfall or hail.