Re: Lightweight gear sources (was: RE: [pct-l] Corn pasta et al)

Tom / List,

>Walt and Pat, 'The Happy Hiking
>Couple" had a wonderful two-person tent that was cheap [about $99 and
>abouut 3 pounds] Anybody remember the brand?

As I recall it was a Peak One tent.  I saw it at a regular sporting goods
store and marveled at the cost/weight value.  Two side doors, almost looked
like the head of a dinosaur!  Not sturdy enough to stand up in snow or high
wind but . . . might be able to be modified to do so.

>I lent Greg "Number 5" {formally "strider"} a couple of lightweight [13
>ounces] relatively cheap [about $60] Stuebi ice axes from Austria. Any
>report Strider?

We used one of the lightweight axes to climb Mt. Ritter with and had no
problems with it.  It was used as an anchor, with shaft sunk into firm snow,
for climbing two steep sections and it handled a short controlled glissade
securely.  I'll bring them to the 2nd ADZPCTKO to return to Tom.  I recall
seeing similar ones at the KO last year, maybe not the same make.

Greg "Strider" Hummel (preferring "Strider" to "Number 5")