Re: [pct-l] Announcement: 2nd ADZPCTKO

In a message dated 9/25/99 10:56:56 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
reynolds@ilan.com writes:

<< The 1999 goal of the event was to facilitate 99 hopefuls to
 start together from Mexico and hike together during the first few days of
 the trail where illegial activity might  pose a danger. [I don't know of
 any thruhiker who has been harmed by illegial activity. This is just a
 precaution] >>

We've all heard the rumours that adds to apprehension in the early going on
the PCT.  On the other hand, think about it.  If you were an "illegal"
looking for the riches that America has to offer, why trouble a hiker?  If
you happen to be a drug smuggler, the last think you want is a confrontration.

I had heard Huaser Creek was not a good place to stay because of the illegals
passing through, but I stayed there and sure enough at 5:45 am in the dark
some passed through.  I more or less slept through it, heard a little
spanish, saw some lights and rolled over to daylight.  In all honesty, it was
one of the early highlights of my trip, ever so brief.

I'm sorry I'm missed the 1st ADZPCTKO.  I was looking foward to meeting you
all.  You have a better date this year, being the last weekend in April.  As
it was, last year, when I left Campo on the 23rd, I reached Kennedy Meadows
too early.

If the one and only thing Ray has to say makes sense to me is not to leave KM
too early.

An early best wishes to the '00 PCT hikers and the ADZPCTKO.

Sly

PS Thanks for the water!