Re: [pct-l] How to Use a BakePacker

Just goes to show everyone has their tastes. A current thru-hiker I know
is happy with his Esbits and though he eats a lot in town he probably
would anyway. Simple boiled-type meals at dinner, PB&J (or other)
sandwhich like things for other meals (bagels or torrtillas the latter
certainly weigh less; the former are tastier); and other various and
sundry things to flesh it out.

For me on a short hike where I feel I have plenty of time I'd put more
effort into cooking "fancier" meals at dinner. But, if I'm feeling
pressed for time it is definitely the "boil type" which just are less
work. And since I don't do hot breakfasts (sometimes hot chocolate or
similar but always cold food) I don't feel the need to lots of variety in
hot meals.

I find I can do enough with spices and such to liven up simple pasta.
Now, if I were canoe/kayak-camping then I'd carry more elaborate things.
But, this is about walking..;)

  ** Ken **

ps- I might try a BakePacker though in a week or so since that trip will
be short days on a small island where I'll have the time. Wish I actually
could spend a little less time there, but the ferry only runs Fridays &
Sundays so it's either a very too short trip or a little bit longer (than
I really want given the island and the fact that it's just me) trip.

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **