[pct-l] Stoves

I have found that preference for stoves is basically divided into three groups, each one claiming the "best" solution for back country cooking.

1) The "Gaz" type, light weight, simple, screw on fuel canisters of propane/butane mix.
2) The torch burner "Svea" type, fuel pre-heat for torch-like rate, liquid fuel of varying type.
3) Alternative types, i.e..: alcohol, Esbit, Z-burner, No stove, small campfire, etc.

Each one has its benefits and restrictions.  I think each person builds a familiarity with one type and may only vary off of that for a significant reason, i.e.: flare-up catching a tent on fire, lack of fuel availability at a drop or town, significant weight advantage, durability, etc.

I used a type (1) stove on my thru hike and enjoyed the ability to simmer, the ease of fuel management, the light weight and the simplicity.  I mailed my canisters thru the mail in ignorance of the laws at that time and never had a problem, even when the postmaster watched me unload my box right in front of them and pulled out a couple canisters of propane/butane.  Maybe we were all a bit ignorant back then.

I perceive, from observation of many other thru hikers, that the type (2) stoves require an attention to maintenance that the type (1)s don't.  They seem to always have problems, plugging up, fuel spills, dirty fuel, periodic cleaning.  I cleaned my stove once in the five and a half months that I took.  I still own it twenty two years later and have not needed to clean it since.

I am now considering to shave a large amount of weight from my huge, heavy, frame backpack and thinking about the need for a stove, considering my rather simple desires in food and general lack of need for variety over the time frames that I currently hike.

I recently hiked with a person who has done considerable hiking in Europe.  Upon preparing for a week hike he had several dinners packaged, a stove, fuel and a large variety of things for breakfast, snacks, lunches, dinners, deserts, drinks, etc.  His European colleagues looked at this and snickered.  He asked them what they had for food and one of them showed him a large salami, a chunk of cheese and a plastic bottle full of wine.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desert, stove and fuel in three things!  It sounds a little boring, but maybe the wine makes up for that!

Hike your own hike.

My 2 cents,

Greg "Strider" Hummel