Re: [pct-l] bears and food

In a message dated 9/15/99 7:52:49 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
RRichey535@aol.com writes:

<< Car Break ins in Yosemite and other popular camping areas is
 way down this year where boxes are used.  I've talked to some back country
 rangers in Yosemite that favor their being used more widely in the Sierras.
 Bear food raids are also way down from what I understand in the Yosemite
back
 country because of canister use >>

I heard this second hand, but it may be worth repeating.  According to a
ranger, many of the problem bears were destroyed this past winter in
Yosemite.

Of course, with all the bear boxes I saw this summer in the Toulemne Meadows
area, I'm sure they may have also helped lower the amount of car break-ins
and disturbances.

I don't have a problem with more boxes in the popular camping areas in the
backcountry.

One of the ideas I liked was that you could rent a bear cannister for $3 a
trip, how ever lenghty, not the $3 a day it was in the past.

Sly