[pct-l] (no subject)

George & Susan Miller <gsmiller@uswest.net> wrote the following

"As a physician hiker, I have never  considered carrying a suture
kit.  I
also do not carry stri strips.  I rely on good old duct tape for most
of
my needs.  Although it is lacking in visual appeal, it is very sticky,

very durable, and somewhat water resistant.

If you have a cut that is too big to close with tape, I doubt that you

could suture it without prior training and experience."

This got me thinking.  Seeing that I don't carry a knife with a blade
longer than 1.5 inches, and use it only when I'm sitting down (slicing
cheese or whittling a toothpick) how could I give myself a cut large
enough to require suturing shy of getting a compound fracture?  (For
the purposes of this question, I will also exclude attacks by large
animals).  Better yet, how large would this gash have to be?

Jeff E