[pct-l] Experience with Sport Bottle Water Filters?

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest John Gwynne <jwgwynne@aol.com>.
* Please use <mailto:jwgwynne@aol.com> to reply to the sender.

I'd like to hear from people who have used sport bottle type water filters as an alternative to the more usual pump filters.

They look promising as far as saving some weight and space, but I'm wondering about their ease of use and how effectively they filter microbes of various sorts and remove chemicals from water.

Given the list's thread on giardia, I apologize if this post repeats some recently covered ground.