Re: [pct-l] suture kits

Laurel asked,
> I've spend all day today looking for a suture kit for my First Aid box....
I'm also looking for some prescriptions for antibiotics (after I've stitched
a huge gash) and emergency pain meds if I need to hike out with a broken arm
or something.

I would recommend skipping the suture kit, since I would find it interesting
to watch a novice, non-medical person try to tie a workable knot. Reynolds
suggested using steri-strips and I concur. They are available at a good
medical supply house or drug store. Be sure to wash out your "gash." Do not
put an ointment over the strips since it will make them fall off quicker.

Working in a trauma center has given me great respect for suturing skills. I
know I could do it in a pinch, but would sooer practice on someone else
rather than myself. There is such an array of needles and thread sizes to
choose from.

Take a pack of 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch steri-strips.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot Problems of
Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers
http://www.footworkpub.com/feet