[pct-l] organic chemicals

At 06:19 AM 8/25/99 -0700, Owen Kittredge wrote:

> Backpacker filters do not remove chemicals,
>

> Filters with carbon elements do remove organic chemicals !

Yes you are right, filters with carbon cartriges will remove volitile
organics,
a very specific type of  chemical pollutant. They will not remove non-volitile
organics such as uric acid (urine). I was focusing on horse piss when I wrote
my last post.

I doubt that many backpackers use these heavier filters, though I DID use one
in India and Nepal.