[pct-l] RE: Silver Pass (?)

RE:
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 01:06:33 -0700
From: Scott Delamater <steelstring@juno.com>
Subject: [pct-l] Silver Pass (?)
<snip> ... hasn't been able to track down exactly where it is. I'm
wondering if there might not be a few of you who could point me in the
right direction. Thanks.
Scott D.

It is on the JMT.  I did it a few weeks ago, and it is spectacular.  A
couple of miles north and west of Silver Pass, off the JMT is Lake of the
Lone Indian...with one of the most beautiful campsites I've ever had.

To get to the trail head at Edison Lake, access the Vermillion Valley Resort
home page for instructions,
http://www.edisonlake.com/vvraboutus.html
but it is a good drive (and 10 miles of one lane road, but paved!) above
Fresno.  My advice is to take the water taxi across, the climb to Silver
Pass in a long day, going over the pass and camping at either Lone Indian or
Papoose on the other side.  (I don't recommend the lake just south of
Silver...too baron.) Return over Gooddale pass, and easy second day (less
than 10 miles as I recall).  The whole thing is probably 20-25 miles.

If you go to Vermillion, please say hi to hiker friendly managers Butch and
Peggy Wiggs, really nice folks (they also operate the water taxi).

Feel free to email me for more details...

Pete