[pct-l] Admin Note: Please read

Ryan and I decided it was time to revise the welcome message that defines
the list purpose, and sets standards for list posts.

Similar revisions are being made for the AT-L and IAT-L

Please review the message below.
Continued use of the list indicates acceptance of the terms enclosed.

*******List Purpose

PCT-L is an unmoderated list that provides a forum
for free-flowing exchange of information, opinions
and comments concerning the Pacific Crest National
Scenic Trail. This might include topics such as
hiking or riding the trail, trail maintenance,
trail conditions, trail threats, etc.

This list is designed to provide an enjoyable and
informative experience for all participants, this
forum is not for "debate" about the validity of
the topics in and of themselves, but instead is
an avenue for the sharing and exchange of
information.

This list is unmoderated. That means that on one
reviews posts prior to their posting to the list.

*******List Versions

There are two versions of this list, PCT-L and
PCT-L-Digest. If you subscribe to the digest
version, you will receive one post each day that
contains all the days list traffic compiled into
one message, otherwise you will receive
individual posts. To change from regular mode to
digest mode you must unsubscribe from PCT-L and
subscribe to PCT-L-Digest.

Sending a message to <PCT-L@backcountry.net> will
reach all the subscribers on BOTH lists. Please
do not send a message to BOTH lists because this
will result in duplicate mailings.

*******List Rules

This list is run on a private computer and
administered by volunteers. It is NOT an
anything-goes public forum. If a member is a
destructive influence or is abusive to the list,
its users, the hardware or administrators, his
privileges may be revoked at the sole discretion
of the administrators, with or without warning.
You are a guest in our home, at our campfire,
and we expect you to behave like one. Be
respectful.

Please introduce yourself along with your first
post. It increases the sense of community.

Please keep all posts on topic. This means posts
should be about the PCT in some way. The following
subjects are specifically off topic:
**Commercial posts advertising products or
services not related to the PCT (posts
advertising products or services that specifically
apply to the PCT are welcome within reason.)
**Chain letters, Get Rich Quick Schemes, Jokes,
and urban legends.
**Comments or criticism about the way this list
is administered. If you don't like something,
contact an administrator. If you problem cannot
be resolved, you are free to unsubscribe.
**Flames. A flame is a searing e-mail message
in which the writer attacks another participant
in overly harsh, and often personal, terms. Don't
post them.

You may not use addresses obtained from this list
to harass others or send them offensive, abusive
or commercial e-mail. If we are informed, or
discover, that anyone is sending commercial
solicitations or abusive-mail to users of our
lists, the offender will be removed from the
lists and possibly reported to his site
administrators.

If you use a "vacation" program, make sure that
it is smart enough to avoid sending messages to
the mailing lists or to users who post to the
mailing list. We try to protect the list against
stuff like this, but please.

If you include quoted material from a previous,
edit it! Everyone gets the same mail you do. If
they are following the thread, they need nothing
more than the bare minimum text to keep the flow
going.

--
List Administrators
Brick Robbins mailto:brick@fastpack.com