Re: [pct-l] Reds Meadow Cafe & Store

In a message dated 7/22/99 8:11:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Douglas.A.Prosser@kp.org writes:

<< I'll be taking some scouts down a section of the John Muir trail next
month & was planning on stopping a Reds Meadow to eat a meal either lunch of
dinner depending on when we arrive.  I was wandering on what to expect there
for cooked meals and also what the store has available so we can possibly
resupply/purchase some items there. >>

For meals, the cafe has a typical short-order menu of sandwiches for lunch.

If you plan to eat dinner there, you must get your name(s) on the list by
2:30 PM to get the complete meal that their trail-hands will be served for
dinner. If you don't get on their list, your only choice for dinner is their
short-order menu. At least, that's the way it was in '96.

Don't count on the store for too much. I found them to be stocked primarily
for car campers, not for backpackers. If you deliver a resupply package of
your own making, they will hold it for your arrival.

Happy hiking,
Charlie Jones