Re: [pct-l] fuel at Muir Trail Ranch

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 java2@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Hi- Does anyone who has been there in the past few years remember if
> they sell white gas at Muir Trail Ranch where you  pick up your resupply
> package? Or, if they don't, how far is their store from the trail?
> One more question: goretex raincoat or poncho on the jmt in August? I
> could save a pound off of my basepack...I keep going back and forth on
> this one. I know if it is wet enough  I get plenty wet even in goretex.

I don't see any compelling need for Goretex in August. Yes, the
Sierras do always have that rare chance of throwing nasty weather at
you. There's even been snow during the summer but it's not very
likely. The worst I plan for in summer is a nasty thunderstorm and
those don't usually last more than a few hours.

I'm not a big fan of ponchos. They're awkward and wind just seems to
blow the rain underneath them anyway. I prefer these light weight
coated nylon rain suits. That and _maybe_ a pack cover should be
plenty of rain protection.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98, Annapurna99?        (650)725-3686
http://gump1.stanford.edu/kbrandt/