[pct-l] free accounts?

>Sorry, but personally I find it hard to take anyone seriously whose
>email host is a porn site.
>Ron "Fallingwater" Moak

Ronald, I agree with Mike Vasquez - these disgusting "tactics" have to
stop! I'm required to sit-on-my-hands when somebody calls _me_ names etc,
but I will not let such filth go unchallenged when it's dumped on other
people. Am not sure if I'd bother (just send Susan a kind e-mail) posting
if you just blew in out of nowhere but you have taken up a volunteer
position on the PCTA website, so I take what you write publicly quite
seriously.

You/I have had our differences in the past (you feel I do not help anyone
on the list and should "stay silent" as you put it), so I can imagine how
unpleasant it was to read Sue's hot-headed - and unsolicited BTW -
defence of me over the latest. That is no excuse to call her personal
sexual morality into question - shame on you. Besides, you know
perfectly-well that "porn sites" are not e-mail sites, and that her
address (yes, I checked, as I suggested everyone do now...) is a forum
for young women to girl-talk perfectly-respectable issues of the day.
Personally I welcome younger people's views; a breath of fresh air
amongst all the gripes and aches of us "fogeys". I may have a hard time
remembering when I was a Spring Chicken, but I like to be reminded every
now and then <lol>

I'd like to add my $.02 also to the burning non-issue of free e-mail
accounts. My rough estimate is that a sizeable percentage if not majority
of subscribers use them and for good reasons - travel, thrift, etc etc. A
free account bears no more relation to those old (and I believe outlawed)
Anonymous raincoat-flasher addresses than any other. People fill out
personal information forms just the same, and have a choice of what sort
of  moniker to use just the same. Many people, especially women for
obvious-after-reading-your-post reasons, like to maintain a modicom of
privacy and I can see why someone might alter their name. A number of
sympathetic pct-listers have suggested _I_ might fare better if I opened
another account under a "macho male" name <g> rather than my own, and
they might just be right....

Again my personal opinion: I judge people by what they _say_ (and knowing
the trail well, am fairly astute as to the validity of alot of the
information posted; being a list oldtimer, I'm also familiar with the
prejudices of some other members), not by whether a "Joe" is in private
life a "Jane" or how much $$$ they pay for internet-access (or gear or
anything else to buy list "votes" with).

This periodic ugliness (from the same people) is forcing more-and-more
people to take list-business into "safer" private e-mail, and seems to be
driving off many competent hikers and scaring away new blood who
potentially have a great deal to contribute. I think it's unreasonable
for anyone to demand people to send in trip reports, trail info, etc,
while non-hiking flamers bombard them with smears.      birgitte jensen,
from my free Juno account