[pct-l] LLLLLLet's Get Ready to Rumble......

Big day today.  Got my gold crown.  (nyuk,nyuk, if you don't know, you'll
probably guess wrong.) Got my wilderness permit from Cleveland National
Forest.  BTW, they have an excellent map of the area, which I will be
carrying to augment the guide.  It covers Campo to Warner Springs.  Went out
to Campo and signed the official PCTA register at the PO.  Last departure
was June 22.  Stashed 2 gal at Kitchen Creek, 2 gal near Sunrise Highway at
the junction with the private road to Lucky 5 Ranch.  I considered another
stash down by the Fages monument, but that was only 2 miles further on.
Stashed 4 gal at Scissors Crossing.  If I don't overnight there, using water
in the evening and morning, then I will take a shower and do laundry.

The weather bureau said it would be 106 degrees in Borrego Springs.  That
may be, but it was 95 at Scissors and Kitchen and 90 up on the Sunrise
Highway. There was a nice breeze blowing everywhere, not a cloud to be seen
and it seemed very comfortable.  Not oppressive at all.

Tomorrow I get a ride out to the monument, where I will start at first
light.  Basic pack weight is 22 lbs, including Clip Flashlight tent,
sleeping bag, air mattress (skinny Therarest, hope this isn't a mistake)
pillow, Peak 1 Apex II stove and fuel, comprehensive first aid kit, adequate
kitchen, umbrella, cell phone, paperback book, maps, guide and notebook.
There was cell phone coverage everywhere I went today.

I justified spending WAY too much for a pair of Royal Robbins Zip n Go pants
by fabricating my own trekking poles for a total cost of about a buck.
Non-adjustable, 1/2 inch tempered aircraft aluminum tubing with cushioned
steering wheel covers for grips. Not pretty, but I think I love 'em.

Hike on !! Bob Riess at the TrailHead in San Diego.