Re: [pct-l] update on conditions of passes

Cheryl wrote:
>Does anyone have an update on the condition (snow, ice, water) of
>Forrester Pass and Kearsarge Pass Trail?  . . . How about the PCT beyond
and up to Sonora Pass?

The snow on the north side of Forrester and other high passes thereon north
appear to be snow covered above approximately 11,000 feet judging from the
view south from Mt. Ritter last weekend.  I climbed to an 11,000 foot pass
from the north side of Volcanic Ridge near the Minarettes, the day before
climbing Ritter, and was able to do so safely without ice axe or crampons.
Above 11,000 feet I would suggest you still bring an ice axe as my
companions and I needed them several times to self arrest while descending
Ritter upon loosing our footing in soft snow.

Have fun.  The glissading is great once you gauge the snow conditions!

Greg "Strider" Hummel