[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #804

Dear fellow hikers,

I was wondering if any of you could provide advice on hiking the rainforest
trails in the Olympic this time of year. I realize biting insects will be a
problem and trail conditions will likely be poor because of mud - but, as I
have never hiked in a temperate rainforest, I am still considering the
trip. So far, I've been reading up on the Bocachiel & Hoh Trails. Any
suggestions??

Yours,
edop

from ["Reuben Rajala, PCTA Director of Trail Operations" <trails@pcta.org>]
>    [pct-l] Trail Head Car Parking
>    [pct-l] Re: snow levels
>    [pct-l] Thief
>    Re: [pct-l] Re: Mosquitos -- suit up?
>    [pct-l] Looking for Dave Long (Dave the Hiker)
>    [pct-l] Hello from Doug Banks
>    Re: [pct-l] Re: snow levels
>    [pct-l] Outages (Admin)
>    [pct-l] Who leaves the trail?
>    Re: [pct-l] Who leaves the trail?
>    [pct-l] Trip Report / Ultralight hiking (long)

>Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 03:10:55 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Jarrid Wong <wongjk@umich.edu>
>Subject: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #802
>
>Hello again!
>
>	Simple question. Anyone know which is better to fly into for entry
>in section H? i have to either fly to LA or San Fran then bus to Section
>H. where i wish to start. if anyone has done this before or has ANY
>suggestions please let me know.
>
>Thanks again!
>
>Jarrid
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>"But i still haven't found what im looking for."
>	-U2
>                                                    Jarrid Wong
>                         http://www-personal.umich.edu/~wongjk/index.html
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, pct-l-digest wrote:
>

>> pct-l-digest           Sunday, July 4 1999           Volume 01 : Number 802
>>

>> In this issue:
>>
>>     RE: [pct-l] AT vs PCT
>>     [pct-l] Info on Tuolumne Canyon...?
>>     [pct-l] Mailing Addresses
>>     [pct-l] Snow in Washington State
>>     Re: [pct-l] Mailing Addresses
>>     [pct-l] WALT & PAT ARE BACK HOME!
>>     [pct-l] BOUNCE pct-l@backcountry.net:     Admin request of type
/\bsubscribe\b/i at line 7   (fwd)

> [...]
>> and 6000 ft.and the avalanche shoots  were still very dangerous.(we would
>> have used snowshoes not skis). Crystal Mtn. opened for summer skiing June
>> 26th. and yesterday it was snowing at about 5500 ft.
>>
>>  Then at the end of June went to Snoqualmie Pass. Drove the car to the
trail
>> head parking could not get in there  too much snow.  Saw the PCT sign at
the
>> end of the parking area. Went on snowshoes to the trail head.  the Toilet
>> peaked out of the snow about 1 foot and saw the very tops of the posts
>> holding the registers etc.  Anyplace there is a forest, it is still holding
>> the snow.  No way to find the trail unless you have good navigational
>> skills.  I knew the area and managed to get very close to Red Mountian on
>> snowshoes and gained about 1000 ft. elevation. The biggest concern I had
was
>> snow bridges over creeks etc.
>>   Have a son involved in Seattle Mtn Rescue.  they feel the snow will not
>> leave the 6 - 7000 ft level this year unless it is on a open slope and lots
>> of sun.
>>
>> Marge  (the Old Gal)   doing it by sections.
>>
>> * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 15:17:01 -0700
>> From: "Carolyn M Eddy" <ceddy@netzero.net>
>> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Mailing Addresses
>>
>> I don't have the addresses but here's a list.
>> >1. mt laguna (generic 4 day box)
>> >2. warner springs (generic 4 day box)
>> >3. kennedy meadows (generic 6 day box, with tent included)
>> >4. vermillion valley resort (generic 4 day box)
>> >5. burney falls (generic 4 day box)
>> >6. crater lake (ups only)(generic 4 day box)
>> >7. ollalie lake resort(generic 4 day box)
>> >8. timberline lodge (generic 4 day box)
>> >9. stehekin(generic 6 day box)
>> >
>> >(generic 4 day box has food for 4 days, & generic 6 for 6 days)
>> >
>> >does anyone have the current address & phone for ollaie lake resort,
(since
>> >the ranger station has been shut down & we aren't supposed to mail
>> >packages there)?
>> Carolyn
>> Eagle Creek Packgoats
>> Eagle Creek, OR
>> "Have goat, will travel"
>> http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/3796/
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 19:38:03 -0500 (CDT)
>> From: radney@ix.netcom.com
>> Subject: [pct-l] WALT & PAT ARE BACK HOME!
>>
>> SENT THIS BUT NEVER RECEIVED IT ON MY LIST SO WILL SEND IT AGAIN.
>>

>> From: radney@ix.netcom.com
>> To: pct-l@backcountry.net
>> Date: 07/02/99 00:14:47
>> Subject: PCT Hiker Information
>>
>> Walt and I are back in Virgina.  Imagine our surprise when we got on the
>> discussion site and had over 1,000 msgs -- what happened to our
>> "unsubscribe.?"  Guess we didn't do it right.  But how wonderful to hear
Tom
>> and others relaying msgs about how everyone is doing -- thank you, we
>> appreciate your interest and concern while we are on the trail.  All the
>> water drops were much needed and for those of you who took part in
stashing
>> them for us -- thanks from the bottom of our hearts!!  Thanks also for all
>> the rides, letters, and packages!
>>
>> For the most part, the "TRAILOGRAM" is pretty accurate, BUT... not
always.
>> I (Pat) got off the trail in Lone Pine because of an exhisting digestive
>> problem (maybe colon polyps) that were causing me abdominal pain, fatigue,
>> nausea and bleeding. Walt and I had not done most of this section (the
>> Sierras) in '97 and we were hyped up to get it under our belt.
>> Unfortunately, I was in no condition to safely take it on when we got
there.
>> My GI wanted me home and I wanted to continue the hike so badly.  At the
>> moment I was not in serious trouble but I could be if I continued -- the
>> Sierras are really tough and would put more strain on me than what we had
>> already done.  I knew I couldn't go, but Walt was strong and knew the
ropes
>> and he could go on and meet the challenge.  If I went I could endanger
>> anyone else on the trail and possibly have to be rescued or cause someone
>> harm trying to help me if I were to became seriously ill.  So, I really
had
>> no choice but to stay in Lone Pine until Wendy (our Trail Daughter from
>> '97) could come and get me and take me to Vermillion Valley Resort where I
>> could wait for Walt to come in.
>>
>> Walt did the 120 miles in 8 days and lost 10 pounds -- almost everyone
lost
>> weight and found an inner strength they didn't know they had. The
conditions
>> the Hikers faced in the Sierras were tough and every day was spent
fighting
>> to get up and over snowy passes, enduring postholing, loose scree or
gravel
>> and lost trails.  The sun reflecting on the snow caused most of them to
come
>> in to VVR with sunburned faces and cracked and burned lips. Down in the
>> valley they encountered deep and turbulent stream (river!!) crossings.
Most
>> couldn't eat enough during the day to get the calories they needed for
each
>> days ordeal. They arrived at VVR famished and feasted on several
breakfasts
>> the first hour or so and then they had lunch only to come back several
hours
>> later for dinner -- or two dinners! I saw many hikers come into VVR quiet
>> and reflective and for some it took several days before they seemed to
come
>> out of it.  With good food and a haven to rest in, almost all headed back
>> out for Tuloumne.  If not eagerly, at least with more inner strength than
>> they knew they had before and a resolve to get to Canada -- no matter what!
>>
>> Contrary to the TRAILOGRAM, Walt also did not take a soaking in Evolution
>> Creek -- but he did come close.  Walt was hiking with several other hikers
>> and the first couple who crossed had a bit of trouble because of the
strong
>> current.  As he got almost across, the current started to drag him and
>> Walter (yes, there are two out there) had to give him a had to steady
him so
>> he could get across -- wet he got from the waist down, but thank God (and
>> Walter Harman) he narrowly missed getting dunked.  The current was not so
>> strong in the meadow and they should have crossed there as we did in '97.
>> Walt said the hike thru the Sierras was everything and more than you could
>> imagine -- snow, snow and more snow -- and then there was water, water and
>> more water!
>>
>> The following is a list of some of the hikers who left VVR for Tuolomne --
>> the date is when they left, not arrived: 6-10 -- Christian Golfette and
>> Sandy Egli (Switzerland), 6-14-- Henry Shires, Nathan Martin, Frank
>> Tupicchio, 6-15-- Jarrad Caspen, Sven Thesen, "Jersey Jim" Smart, 6-16--
Ken
>> Roberts, Pack Rat, Shirt, Lindy, Kevin Rourk, Steve Fonesca, Aaron Alexis,
>> Mike Perry, Jan Doelder  6/17 --Big Red and Ramblin Man, Jason & Lara,
>> Spice, Mike (Homebrew), Robert Berard (Little Bear), Sophie Hartshorn,
Erica
>> Kutcher, Charlotte Clews (Meg did the Sierras with her sister),  6-18 --
>> Chris Daves, Ron Vaughn, Dana, Karen Davis & John Langhein, Hurricane
Helen
>> and dog Cleideth.  I didn't write down the leave dates for the following
--
>> sorry. Junk Yard Dog, Donna and Johnathan, Pete and Dennis, Mary Barrow,
>> Walter & Korin, Jeff Maxson, Deb, Rebecca, Brian, Derek, Jason & Jason,
>> Ishmael, Allen Downs, Rob Bedicheck (he and Anne became engaged on Lake
>> Edison--congratulations!), JAIME & BETH, Robin, Nick, Whitney and (?),
Neil
>> Parcell (from England), Mark, John (Christina went back to Maine with feet
>> problems), and the three Norweigens.  I know there are several others
who I
>> have not mentioned -- sorry -- I will try to get a more completed list
soon!

>> Thanks again everyone!  Walt and Pat
>>

>> * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 20:21:21 -0500 (CDT)
>> From: PCT List Admin <brick@fastpack.com>
>> Subject: [pct-l] BOUNCE pct-l@backcountry.net:     Admin request of type
/\bsubscribe\b/i at line 7   (fwd)

Tehachapi on Sunday June 20th and he was hiking with Jeff and Melanie from
Packwood,WA.  I am assuming that since there is no phone in Kennedy Meadows
that instead of contacting me,as planned, that they have gone on to
Vermillion Resort.  I am wondering about his schedule at this point in
time, since I am taking care of business on this end for him.  If anyone
has seen Dave or Jeff & Melanie, I would appreciate an update.  His roomate
John is in Yosemite and is trying to figure out the schedule to hike south
to meet Dave at Vermillion.  Thanks so much for any help!

Erik Dopman
Cornell University
Corson Hall
Ithaca, NY 14835