PCT Hiker Information

Walt and I are back in Virgina.  Imagine our surprise when we got on the
discussion site and had over 1,000 msgs -- what happened to our
"unsubscribe.?"  Guess we didn't do it right.  But how wonderful to hear Tom
and others relaying msgs about how everyone is doing -- thank you, we
appreciate your interest and concern while we are on the trail.  All the
water drops were much needed and for those of you who took part in stashing
them for us -- thanks from the bottom of our hearts!!  Thanks also for all
the rides, letters, and packages!

For the most part, the "TRAILOGRAM" is pretty accurate, BUT... not always.
I (Pat) got off the trail in Lone Pine because of an exhisting digestive
problem (maybe colon polyps) that were causing me abdominal pain, fatigue,
nausea and bleeding. Walt and I had not done most of this section (the
Sierras) in '97 and we were hyped up to get it under our belt.
Unfortunately, I was in no condition to safely take it on when we got there.
My GI wanted me home and I wanted to continue the hike so badly.  At the
moment I was not in serious trouble but I could be if I continued -- the
Sierras are really tough and would put more strain on me than what we had
already done.  I knew I couldn't go, but Walt was strong and knew the ropes
and he could go on and meet the challenge.  If I went I could endanger
anyone else on the trail and possibly have to be rescued or cause someone
harm trying to help me if I were to became seriously ill.  So, I really had
no choice but to stay in Lone Pine until Wendy (our Trail Daughter from
'97) could come and get me and take me to Vermillion Valley Resort where I
could wait for Walt to come in.

Walt did the 120 miles in 8 days and lost 10 pounds -- almost everyone lost
weight and found an inner strength they didn't know they had. The conditions
the Hikers faced in the Sierras were tough and every day was spent fighting
to get up and over snowy passes, enduring postholing, loose scree or gravel
and lost trails.  The sun reflecting on the snow caused most of them to come
in to VVR with sunburned faces and cracked and burned lips. Down in the
valley they encountered deep and turbulent stream (river!!) crossings. Most
couldn't eat enough during the day to get the calories they needed for each
days ordeal. They arrived at VVR famished and feasted on several breakfasts
the first hour or so and then they had lunch only to come back several hours
later for dinner -- or two dinners! I saw many hikers come into VVR quiet
and reflective and for some it took several days before they seemed to come
out of it.  With good food and a haven to rest in, almost all headed back
out for Tuloumne.  If not eagerly, at least with more inner strength than
they knew they had before and a resolve to get to Canada -- no matter what!

Contrary to the TRAILOGRAM, Walt also did not take a soaking in Evolution
Creek -- but he did come close.  Walt was hiking with several other hikers
and the first couple who crossed had a bit of trouble because of the strong
current.  As he got almost across, the current started to drag him and
Walter (yes, there are two out there) had to give him a had to steady him so
he could get across -- wet he got from the waist down, but thank God (and
Walter Harman) he narrowly missed getting dunked.  The current was not so
strong in the meadow and they should have crossed there as we did in '97.
Walt said the hike thru the Sierras was everything and more than you could
imagine -- snow, snow and more snow -- and then there was water, water and
more water!

The following is a list of some of the hikers who left VVR for Tuolomne --
the date is when they left, not arrived: 6-10 -- Christian Golfette and
Sandy Egli (Switzerland), 6-14-- Henry Shires, Nathan Martin, Frank
Tupicchio, 6-15-- Jarrad Caspen, Sven Thesen, "Jersey Jim" Smart, 6-16-- Ken
Roberts, Pack Rat, Shirt, Lindy, Kevin Rourk, Steve Fonesca, Aaron Alexis,
Mike Perry, Jan Doelder  6/17 --Big Red and Ramblin Man, Jason & Lara,
Spice, Mike (Homebrew), Robert Berard (Little Bear), Sophie Hartshorn, Erica
Kutcher, Charlotte Clews (Meg did the Sierras with her sister),  6-18 --
Chris Daves, Ron Vaughn, Dana, Karen Davis & John Langhein, Hurricane Helen
and dog Cleideth.  I didn't write down the leave dates for the following --
sorry. Junk Yard Dog, Donna and Johnathan, Pete and Dennis, Mary Barrow,
Walter & Korin, Jeff Maxson, Deb, Rebecca, Brian, Derek, Jason & Jason,
Ishmael, Allen Downs, Rob Bedicheck (he and Anne became engaged on Lake
Edison--congratulations!), JAIME & BETH, Robin, Nick, Whitney and (?), Neil
Parcell (from England), Mark, John (Christina went back to Maine with feet
problems), and the three Norweigens.  I know there are several others who I
have not mentioned -- sorry -- I will try to get a more completed list soon!

Thanks again everyone!  Walt and Pat