Re: [pct-l] News from the Trail

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 reynolds@ilan.com wrote:

> 3-Annie and the Salesman stayed with us at MTR. Annie is recovered from her auto
> accident and, at last sight, were sprinting up to Seldon Pass.

Saturday, I managed to con some friends into making a side trip up to
Tuolumne Meadows. I told them we'd go hiking but my real desire was to
stop by the Tuolumne Meadows store to see if any thru-hikers were
around.

I met Annie and the Salesman and talked for a few minutes.
Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of the other hiker I spoke
with. Anyway, A&S were in good shape and high spirits. There were
several others around with that thru-hiker look but I didn't have time
to talk as my friends were getting a bit anxious to go.

I had to laugh though. As I went to leave the Salesman asked if we
could drive them back to the trail. Knowing it was only a few hundred
yard I said, "you kidding, right?" By the look on his face I quickly
realize that he wasn't. I'd forgotten how valuable even the shortest
of rides is when you're hiking. They'd hiked over 900+ miles by my
estimation but .1 miles saved is still good. :-) My friends were
understanding enough of my peculiarities to drive them back to the
trail.Anyway, it did my heart good to be back in the thru-hiker
world even if only for a 15 minutes. Although I'll tell you, my heart
sure was longing to head off down the trail behind them.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98                       (650) 725-3686
http://gump1.stanford.edu/kbrandt/