[pct-l] Feathered Friends DISASTER

Dear PCT-L friends,

This list serv has been nothing but beneficial to my PCT planning.  In
repsonse, I wanted to warn you about the horrendous experience I have had
with a company that you may look into for your sleeping bag needs.  I just
want to save you all the same frustration and irritation.  The following is
the abridged version of my problems with Feather Friends, a down-ony company
based in Seattle.  Upon researching sleeping bags, I had eventually decided
on the Swallow produced by Feathered Friends.  It seemed like the perfect
choice.  HOWEVER, I urge you--I implore you--DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM
FEATHERED FRIENDS.

After waiting the six weeks originally discussed with the factory, I
discovered no sleeping bag in the mail.  When I called to inquire--they
hadn't even cut the bag yet!  Appalled that I would be out another weekend
to test my gear, I was assured that they would rush the bag through and
deliver it.  To my dismay, I called (long distance to Seattle, mind you) the
day they were supposedly going to ship the bag and found that they LOST the
bag somewhere on the factory floor!  At that time, I was assured two day
shipping as soon as it got inspected (which they hadn't done yet because the
bag was underneath someone else's bag and they hadn't seen it) which should
have happened last Monday.  Wednesday came and went and NO BAG.  I gave them
the benefit of the doubt and waited to call until the UPS truck left the
commons on Thursday.  "It's being shipped out tomorrow."  Another weekend
would go by and I STILL wouldn't be able to test out all my gear.  Assuming
that it would be delivered on Saturday (two day, remember?!), I patiently
waited.  STILL NO BAG.  I called yesterday and no one called me back.  Today
I called and they told me it was shipped out on the 28th and would be here
Thursday!  I leave for the PCT on SUNDAY without ever have tested my new
bag.

So, in conclusion, their customer service staff is horrendous, they have no
concept of time, and they are overrated in every aspect.  FEATHERED FRIENDS
IS NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BUY SLEEPING BAGS FROM.  I just wanted to warn you
all in case you thought that the Backpacker Magazine Gear guide review
sounded as appealing to you as it did to me.

Thank you for your time,
Jen Doebler

#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*#^*

Jennifer Rose Doebler
 --RA for the Arts and Architecture Interest House
 --Co-founder of Team "ON FIRE!"
 --'99 PCT Hopeful

FALL 1999 ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER:
600 Toftrees Ave.