Re: [pct-l] Where to carry bearcan

The best place to carry a bear canister is across your shoulders. This is the
point that is closest to the body's center of gravity. On my Jansport [external]
pack I place the canister in the top of the top compartment. I have thought of
making a sling to keep the canister at the top but so far I have settled for
just wedging clothes underneath the canister to keep it at the very top across
the shoulders. On a Kelty Tioga [external] the bear canister is best placed on
the top of the pack bag under the top flap.

Internal frame pack are more difficult. I have a friend that uses a very small
ightweight pack. He straps the bear canister to the top of the pack. Most people
using top loading internal packs place the canister in last, in the top of the
pack bag. Unless the pack is carefully packed this causes the bag to sag
noticably.

If you are only getting 8-10 pounds in the canister where you carry it is not a
big problem. However, when the thing weighs 20 pounds keeping it across your
shoulders is critical.