Re: [pct-l] Crampons

>My point (if you'll re-read my post, Tom) was that it's not a good idea
>to try to "save miles" by using unknown routes or unresearched High
>Passes particularly in early-season..<<

To quote Virginia Reed, Donner Party member and survivor ,"Remember, never take
no cut-offs, and hurry along fast as you can."
Still valid today.
While I plan my trek through Wyoming, I debate taking a popular emigrant cutoff.
The downside: it doesn't follow the river, the source for water. More research
needed...