Re: [pct-l] Crampons

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:12:50 EDT Montedodge@aol.com writes:
>When I say strap on crampons, BJ, I mean 12 point strap on type and

Phew, that's a relief, Monte, I thought you were slipping (get it? yuk,
yuk).
You didn't "upset" me, hon; I just used your post as an opportunity to
stress conservative planning rather than merely store-bought goods. I
doubt very very much whether most PCT thruhikers are experienced in the
use of front-pointers, and  it doesn't seem to me a good idea, read:
safe, idea (aside from the weight, expense, hassle) to suggest
ice-climbing as part of their hike.

Also wanted to toss in a bit of non-PCT Guide info about New Army Pass. I
just got an e-mail from "Sally Forth" @hotmail (always get that one mixed
up with "goforth"<g>) telling me that Hurrican Helen also headed toward
New Army! I'm really curious about that choice of passes - the guidebook
doesn't even mention it, it's not the most direct route down to Lone
Pine, and it looks bad on the map....  Anybody have any information along
those lines?       bj