[pct-l] Middle age and ice axes

Sorry to hear about the fall of a hiker by new army pass. This accident may
have been avoided with a light ice axe and strap on crampons. ( Should both
be used on steep snow hiking ) Enough preaching. Saw a picture of Eric Ryback
( first pct thu hiker and first triple crown hiker ) on his Brokerage web
page a few weeks ago. Eric looks like he could be a poster boy for " Pop
Tarts ". I,m glad I,m not the only one who has gotten older and fatter over
the years. Time waits for no one. ( Not even Eric )  Middle age brings out
the aches and pains of all the abuse you ever did to your body whenever the
temp drops below 40. The bottom line  you must ask yourself is, Is this
hiking thing still fun?   Is it worth the pain? Do you get anything out of
this?  YES, even old fossils  like myself never feel more alive than when out
on the trail. The PCT brings out the youth in all of us.