[pct-l] Trail side medical care

To Brick and the general reading audience: I am NOT taking sides, I have
too little knowledge to do that, and yet, I would like to share my
thoughts on self diagnosis and trail side medical care.

I have always kind of flinched when I read all the medical talk from
various hikers on this web site. I agree NOTHING can replace experience
(its how we mother's of more than one child can more confidentially and
with less fear, treat our second, etc. children with much less
information being sought from the good old pediatrician). I think there
is a chance that Barbara Ann Rudlich, whether anyone agrees with her
specific medical information or not, was saying she worries that
amateurs are treating themselves with what might NOT be all the
information they need. When we treat ourselves for something other than
blisters and the like, do we not run the risk of not knowing what we
don't know? Do we know enough about what we are prescribing for
ourselves to be certain it won't cause a reaction(s) with other medicine
we are taking? Do we know enough about how long to take this medicine we
prescribed and at what dosage?  Also, are people aware that many
medicines become toxic AFTER their expiration date? Some do become
"lesser than", but many become "more than", and can kill.

I was a social worker dealing with the aged, blind and disabled for 10
years. Excuse me if I step on any toes for I am well aware a little
knowledge can be a dangerous thing. But, the above are things I think
that Barbara was also addressing, with the specifics of giardia being
her reason for taking the time and effort to address the group as a
whole, rather than speak with brick more privately.  I am NOT taking
sides...that's death on this web site. I am only sharing some of the
thoughts I've had. Do with them as you chose. I mean well, hope you all
know that.

Also, (seems like I'm "unloading" today!) I too have been trying to tell
people that this Winter and Spring have NOT been normal and weather this
Summer WILL be an issue. (Stevens Pass conditions PCT Digest #779)
Nothing is melting as in a "normal" Summer.  There is tons of snow where
you are not expecting it and the weather, over all, is way cooler than a
normal late Spring, almost Summer date. My understanding, and all
indications here where we live with snow, is that it will be a much
cooler Summer all Summer long. You WILL run into snow as a through hiker
in places "normally" you won't.  PLEASE, EVERYONE take care.  Our health
is always the most important thing.  The trail isn't going anywhere, you
can always change plans, go back, try again later and one of many
possibilities.  We can NOT risk our health and life.

And, I send my thoughts of loving healing and good memories to all who
knew John Lowder.

Respectfully,

JoAnn