[pct-l] Bear attacks

Globetrotter wrote:
<<Yes bears kill people all the time up here, but if your smart it won't
happen to you!>>

For the purposes of the PCT-L, the chance of a grizzly bear encounter on the
PCT is still almost zero, but not 0%.  David Patterson, an ALDHA-West triple
crown recipient, recommended a very good book in his recently published
"Alternative Routes on the Continental Divide Trail".  The book he
recommends is "Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance" by Stephen Herrero.

I am reading the book in preparation for my CDT section hike this year.
It's very well researched and puts the whole grizzly problem in perspective.
By reading this book, you will learn how to minimize your risk of getting
mauled, and understand that most maulings and deaths can be avoided.  If you
ever hike the CDT or anywhere in grizzly bear country, I strongly recommend
the Herrero book.
Roger Carpenter
P.O. Box 651
Vancouver, WA  98666