[pct-l] Re: Hiker is killed when bear bites his head

>From: Brick Robbins <brick@fastpack.com>

>Subject: [pct-l] Hiker is killed when bear bites his head ANCHORAGE, Alaska
>Hiker is killed when bear bites his head
>ANCHORAGE, Alaska

I'm sorry but what's the point of this post? Is there a new section of
the PCT being discussed that will continue to Alaska? Are you trying
for another long diatribe on pct-l for the merits of carrying
protection in the back country? The article failed to mention the type
of bear. Odds probably are it was a brown bear. Chances of seeing a
brown bear on the PCT are pretty slim considering their habitat only
covers the last 80 or so miles (if that) of the north portion of the
trail.

I lived in Sitka Alaska; hiked over much of the island, visited
Admiralty Island several times and never had a problem. I heard a lot
of stories that the armchair morbid types would love to hear, but I
don't see how these stories would be very relevant to the pct-l; nor
are any of the countless recycled bear discussions we have to put up
with on pct-l several times a year (Can't anyone write an FAQ and post
this anytime the bear issue comes up? Maybe I hear a calling...)

News like this just creates ungrounded fear and hysteria. So bears are
biting human heads, wolves are eating sheep, mountain lions have a
taste for female joggers and the nuclear arsenal of foreign countries
can be damaging to American health. It's all sound bites to sell news;
stirring up support for some community or political cause (or lack of
political initiative), but most of it doesn't gives us any more
intellectual opinion to make a judgment than our prime time television
shows gives us a perspective on human values.

Please if you have an issue with what I said reply to me
personally. No need dragging people who are waiting for trail news and
advice into a discussion on my views of sensationalized news.

Dave

        Dave Encisco
        dencisco@rotorwiz.arc.nasa.gov