Re: [pct-l] Shoes vs. Boots/Equip/Video

Jim asked,
> 1.) On the tennis shoes (Jardine's way) vs. boots, I
>     plan to do the shoes for my hike next year but it
>     would be nice to hear from those of you who HAVE
>     done the PCT wearing tennis shoes. Obviously,
>     you'll still need boots for the snow, but how long
>     did you wear sneakers and how many pairs did .
>     you go through.

I would recommend running shoes only if you are used to wearing them while
hiking and that they can provide the support you need based on the weight of
your pack. Many shoe companies have come out with lightweight hiking boots
that are just as good as running shoes but offer more support. I would
certainly try them. Nike, Adidas, Brooks, Salomon, Merrell, and others have
great lightweight boots. Try some on, with your pack on your back, and see
how that feel.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
author: FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot
Problems of Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers
web site: http://www.footworkpub.com/feet/index.htm