[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #761

> > From: "Karen Elder"
> > Subject: [pct-l] Hydration systems (camelback, etc.)
> >
> > Anyone have any experiences and comments on hydration systems? I'm
thinking

> > I'd like to use one instead of my usual Nalgenes, so I could put the
water
> > inside the pack, close to my back, for better weight distribution.
> >
> > Karen
> >

> I use a Platypus 68 oz ( = approx 2 liters) water bladder. It is a lot
> more convenient to take sips of water from the drink tube rather than
> having to drink from a nalgene canteen. Canteens are more bulky, hold
> less water, weigh more, are a pain to access & unscrew. Hydration
> bladders are light (less than 2 oz for the bag), get smaller as the
> water is drank, and the drink tube screw cap is interchangeable with 2
> liter soda bottles. Since it is so covenient to drink water using a
> water bladder, I drink more often and therefore stay hydrated better.
> Hope this helps.

I would dump the Nalgenes for sure.  They are expensive, heavy and not very
reliable (can shatter if dropped when cold -- especially the now popular
clearish ones).  I would also be wary of putting all my eggs in one large
bladder -- if it starts to leak, you're SOL.

We used 1 liter plastic soda bottles -- cheap, light, usually come prefilled
with sugary liquid which can be consumed or dumped depending on personal
taste.
Easily replacable in every trail town whenever they start to show wear.  Very
durable. If you're using a pack with a hip belt, you can get a little carrier
from OR or some such company that holds one bottle conveniently on your
waist.
We only used one bottle per person north of Kennedy Meadows (except for Hat
Creek Rim).  I also found my stomach to be a useful storage device.  In the
desert sections I would drink ~2 liters+ on the spot at any water source.

-Carl Mears