Re: [pct-l] Bear Box locations

On Sat, 15 May 1999 10:23:07 -0700 Read Miller <ReadM@sprynet.com>
writes:
>Thanks for the information on the location of bear boxes. It was very
>helpful. I'm not sure that I have a complete picture but this is a
>great start.

  You know what _I_ did, Read? (This sounds
awfully-simplistic/self-evident, I realize, but...) I didn't own the
guide, so I laid out the map of my intended route (the PCT) alongside the
FS list of bear box locations. It was pretty easy to ignore whole chunks
of the data, since it's organized into mostly-disregardable sections of
the Sierra, but there aren't that many boxes, in any case. As I moved
along the map-trail, I noted correlations and ticked them off. "Vidette
Meadow"? Aha, gotcha! "Upper Vidette"? I looked at the map's contour
lines and saw which end of the map was higher (upper) and bingo. All the
boxes are right along the trail/highly visable, so when I reached Vidette
(if not actually a sign, then the map, or guidebook, tells you where you
are) I paid particular attention. Since I looked for the bear box at the
end of the day, I was pretty pooped/moving slower anyway, and that made
keeping an eye out even easier.

   Other people just take out the CA volume of the PCT guide and note the
various references to bear boxes ("heavy metal rectagular food locker").
The guide gives good mileages too, in case you feel the map doesn't
impart that information clearly. (If it's __ miles between __ pass and __
meadow, then it's the same # miles between the bear boxes at those
locations.) The only time I've ever had problems finding a bear box were
1) this month - the box was buried under deep snow, and no amount of
information could've helped me uncover it (God knows I tried <g>). The
other times, I was walking a moonless night in a forested area, and I was
_absolutely sure_ I had hiked past it; turns out I hadn't reached it yet,
duh, and I "found" the box two minutes down the trail after I had given
up all hope.

    There aren't that many bear boxes right along the PCT in the Sierra
(but more than you'll ever need <g>), anyway - from Rock Creek (the
southernmost location) to Woods Creek (the northernmost) just isn't that
far, what 40-some miles.....? All the "side trip" locations (Crabtree?
Most thruhikers only visit Mt Whitney if that) are just as easy to spot
or figure into your camping plans. It's a no brainer - honest, you don't
have to be an "abnormal" local (I wasn't) or even have 20/20 eyesight.
   bj

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]