[pct-l] Bears

     Just curious...do any of you carry any protection from the bears,
i.e. "extra strength" pepper spray? (I found it in a catalog as good
protection against bears).   I don't want to start any arguements here,
I'm just getting a little concerned about the bears in the Sierras.
     Also, when hiking Kearsarge Pass Trail, a couple of you mentioned
not to take the back pack off...is this because the bears will snatch
it?  Have they ever been known to try to snatch it off your back?
Thanks, Carolyn