[pct-l] Tucker Spohr Starts May 7

Tucker Spohr from Alaska arrived in San Diego May 6.  Because I had to be in
the classroom by 7:15 Friday morning, we decided to get up early and make
the Campo run in time for me to get to school.  Tucker started his hike from
the monument at 5:40am May 7.

I had a great time talking trail with Tucker.  He has significantly modified
his pack to achieve a base pack weight of 18 lbs, including tent, mattress
and Esbit stove.  He is the most organized and thoroughly planned-out hiker
I have met, and he had a couple of neat ideas I am going to adopt.  Using
the PCT trail map logo and some of his own original art work, he produced a
design for a single post card which is uniquely his. He took the original to
a printer and had a large supply of them printed.  He will be sending them
to friends, relatives and acquaintences all during his hike.  The recipients
will save the post cards and send them back to Tucker when he finishes, and
the postcards will serve as a trail journal when he has them placed in
chronological order and bound in a book.  Hikers and others who meet Tucker
along the trail will find him to be a great companion.

Sunday I meet "Team On Fire" for a first light start on Monday.  Hike on!!