[pct-l] Signing off & heading to Campo

Hey everyone,

Today is my last day as an urbanite.
Tomorrow is my first day of my new life as a PCT through-hiker.
I am *SO* excited!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great ideas, advice,
information, resources, and support that you've offered to me and the rest
of PCT Class of '99.

I'll be signing off this list so my email inbox doesn't overflow (wish I
could keep the subscription so I could read all the PCT when I get back from
the trail).

About my trek:  This is my first long-distance hike.  Prior to this, I've
done some 1-week, 10-day, and 2-week backpacking trips.  For the first time
in my backpacking career, I've managed to get my packweight down to the
"ultralight" category:  about 12 pounds not counting consumables (fuel,
water, food).  I achieved this by switching
o    my 7 pound Dana Designs TerraPlane in favor of Lynn Wheldon's 14-oz
mesh backpack;
o    my 4- or 6-pound tent for a 14-oz 2-person Integral Designs
"Sil-Shelter" tarp/tent;
o    my 24-oz MSR stove for a 3.5-oz Esbit;
o    my 3.2-pound sleeping bag for a 1.75-pound Feathered Friends
Hummingbird;
o    a 25-oz GoreTex parka for a 10-oz Patagonia Zephur jacket;
o    an 18-oz pile jacket and/or 20-oz down jacket for a 10-oz PolarTec 100
sweater;
o    my Thermarest for a foam pad
o    smaller/lighter versions of all the little things in my pack (compass,
knife, etc).

It seems to have paid off -- this pack feels like *nothing* on my back.  Of
course, the disadvantage is that it's gonna feel like a lot of weight on my
shoulders (due to no hip support) when I'm loaded up with lots of water in
the desert and a fresh supply of food.

Well, enough of this Jardinating.  The important thing is that I'm *finally*
getting out there and living my dream; I've been wanting to hike the PCT for
13 years!  I have no idea what the journey will ultimately mean for me, so
I'm anxious to get started experiencing it.

So long, and thanks for all the advice,

David Long
Seattle, WA
PCT Class of '99