[pct-l] Thru-hiker update

I left the trail Saturday morning from interstate Rt. 10 after
completing sections A & B.  I'll be back as soon as my blisters heal.
Here is an update of what I know of other thru-hikers.

Will headed north from Idyllwild on Tuesday morning (27 April).  He is
doing fine and making great progress.

Aaron has been dealing with Tendonitis in both Achiles tendons.  I did
not see him in Idyllwild, but was told he headed back to the trail
Wednesday morning.  Jim & Frank also headed out about the same time.

Oz & Laura left, I believe, Wednesday.

I left Idyllwild Thursday morning with Jason & Lara, Charlotte, Yip,
Johnathan, and Nathan. These six spent Friday night in a cabin just
north of interstate 10 owned by trail angels Don & Helen Middleton and
were off into section C on Saturday morning. (I camped south of
interstate 10 to rest my blisters, and decided to head home Saturday
morning after I hiked a few more miles and found my feet were getting
worse rather than better).

In Idyllwild, most of us stayed at the Tahquitz Motel where the managers
Bob and ??? were very helpful, and at one time there were at least 12 of
us there (Its strange to see an almost full motel with an empty parking
lot).  Bob allowed us to use his personal telephone, and drove the six
of us (Nathan had started out earlier) to the Devil's Slide trailhead
when we checked out.

When I left Idyllwild, the following hikers were still in town: Robert
Bedichek, Pat & Walt, Donna, and Mary Sue & George.  I saw Batch, Daryl,
and  Meadow Ed the day before and believe they were also still there.

We have been assisted by a wonderful group of trail angels including
Greg, Charlie, and the many other people responsible for putting
ADZPCTKOP together and for stashing water for us.  My first chance
encounter with a trail angel was with Don Middleton, just when I needed
a ride to the bus station to get home.  He kindly dropped what he was
doing and drove me to Palm Springs to catch the bus.  It is magical to
meet complete strangers who are more than willing to help out and expect
nothing in return.

I have been telephoning my progress reports to my friend Dave Pratt who
has been writing them up and mailing them to an email list.  He has also
been posting them to his website along with pictures and maps, and all
can be seen at http://www.dvpratt.com/downs

I hope to be back on the trail in a week or so.

    Allen Downs