[pct-l] Skin reaction on ankles

I have figured out what my problem with "sunburn" on my ankles is.

I had a rash of blisters before I left for Campo.  They disappeared when I
went back to my old standby - cotton socks.  the synthetics are too slick
and hot for my feet.  In Von Hoff's book, he emphasises that what may be
appropriate to prevent blisters for one person, may actually create
blisters for another - That we all have to find our own solutions, and what
worked for us yesterday, may not work for us today. When I went back to the
cotton socks, the rash also started to disappear.

(The "Cotton Kills!" people maybe should also re-examine their overly broad
generality.  Stupidity kills.  Anybody that relies exclusively on cotton to
keep them warm, may need to be educated.  But cotton also cools and can
save lives in desert situations, where wicking attire may not only be
inappropriate, but contribute to heat prostration.)

At any rate, the ankle rash appears to be from off-gasing from the large
amounts of elastic that is used in synthetic socks.  Because cotton and
wool holds its shape better, most of these socks do not have elastic.  Most
of the synthetic socks do.  Unfortunately the wool socks that I stocked up
on (smartwool) have just as much elastic as the sythetics.  Again I need to
tolerate some elastic on an outer sock (still got some rash),, if I had a
cotton liner, and if I was in running shoes.  The real problem starts when
I wear boots, or anything that clamps the socks tightly to the ankles, or
does not allow air to circulate.  I carried gaiters, but did not wear them,
and I suspect that I would have a problem wearing them with elastized
socks.

Goforth