[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #747

NEWS FLASH FROM KAMP ANZA (at the foot Mt. San Jacinto):
(about 144 trail miles from Campo)

May 3, 1999; 7:43 a.m.

There are five hikers here today.  Three are planning to leave today, two tomorrow.  Including these five, 30 hikers have stopped by Kamp Anza thus far this season.  This time last year we hadn't had any hikers so far.  Last year we had a total of 24 hikers visit Kamp Anza (this includes north- and south-bounders).

The weather today is not so good.  Current temperature is 42 degrees F, winds of 10 mph, often gusting to 20 mph and above.  Visibility is about 0.1 miles, due to heavy moisture at ground level. Expect freezing and sub-freezing temperatures on Mt. San Jacinto.

The weather over the recent week has been variable.  The previous two days were clear and warm, which probably melted all of the 8 inches of snow that fell on Mt. San Jacinto and Fuller Ridge the previous two days.  Hikers should carefully monitor the weather on the mountain and plan for changeable conditions.

For further information about Hiker's Oasis at Kamp Anza, please see our web site at:

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Campground/1442/