[pct-l] UPDATE - Scissors Crossing and the San Felipe Hills Water

Hikers,

For those of you who have not yet reached Scissors Crossing ...

We resupplied the water stash at Scissors Crossing on Sunday, May 2. Because
of problems experienced in the past, this water stash will only consist of
nine gallon jugs of Vons water (no container; no more small bottles here).
Additionally, the jugs are chained (yes; chained) to prevent their removal by
"persons unknown." I'm sorry, but even PCT Hikers will need to refill their
own bottles from the jugs.

If you haven't started hiking yet (or if you are supporting someone who has
not yet reached Scissors Crossing), bring an extra water bottle if you want
to enter the San Felipe Hills with extra water. (A Gatorade bottle makes an
inexpensive extra water bottle.)

Because of the problems recently experienced near the Cottonwood Tree at
Scissors Crossing, we no longer provide small bottles of water there. But, we
stashed twelve 1.5 liter bottles of Sparkletts water (plus six gallon jugs of
Vons water) south of Highway 78 near the gate where the PCT crosses Highway S
2. The bottles are about 10 yards south of the gate (6-8 feet west of the
PCT), still under a small juniper tree. If you need an extra bottle, take one
of these. We do not refill the bottles. (Resupplied on May 2)

We tried to place the smaller bottles so they would not be too visible from
the road, but could still be seen by hikers on the trail. There is a rock
"duck" by the trail to mark the point. (We decided to place the bottles
BEFORE Scissors Crossing so hikers would know about them before they plan the
amount of water they intend to carry away from Scissors Crossing.)

Speaking of San Felipe Hills, our fears that the water stash was depleted
turned out to be true. When several of us hiked in there today (05/02), there
was no water. (Even all the jugs were missing. Their whereabouts remains a
mystery.) That situation has been corrected by our stashing sixteen gallon
jugs of water. Interestingly enough, within minutes of our departure, two
hikers (Ray and Betty) appeared and refilled their bottles. (We had radio
contact with some day-hikers who Ray and Betty overtook on the PCT.)

Enjoy your hike,
Charlie Jones