Re: [pct-l] TYT compared to JMT?

Thanks to those who've responded so far.

: I did the TYT and the JMT back to back last summer.  They
:are very different and equally as beautiful.  I have all the info on
:re-supply spots and all and would be happy to give them to you.  There
:is a book by Thomas Winnet called The Tahoe-Yosemite Trail.

The Winnett book on the TYT (I checked out amazon.com; thanks for the tip)
is copyrighted 1987 -- I guess the trail hasn't changed much since then?

:The TYT is every bit as good as the JMT.  Leaving out of Meeks Bay,
:the lakes just line up like pearls on a string, Geneveive, Shadow, Crag,
:Rubicon, the Velmas, Echo.......ah the memories.  Some days, you might see
6
:lakes.  It was my first hiking experience.  1976.  I still use that pack.

Sounds very beautiful -- I loved the lakes on the JMT, so... ahhhh!  :-)
What a great first hiking experience! When we hiked the JMT in '90, we
brought along 3 novice backpackers from NJ -- I think they really got
spoiled by having the JMT as their first backpacking experience.

:The northern section of the Tahoe-to-Yosemite trail is a dream resupply. We
:resupplied at Echo Lake and Lake Alpine Resort staying a couple of days at
each.

Now that sounds good -- we'll probably be hiking the trail in the summer of
2001 (!) when my husband has his sabbatical from Intel, and we'll be 47 and
48 by then -- don't mind taking a few days off here and there at all :-} --

:A better route would to take the PCT from Sonora Pass to where
:it junctions with the TYT just inside Yosemite NP. The stretch from here is
lots
:of long beautiful canyons and tough climbs getting out. Supply in this 90
mile
:section is very difficult.

Actually hiked from Tuolumne Meadows to Sonora Pass about 5 years ago -- it
was really nice (brought along another 2 novice backpackers -- we're always
having to find new friends to introduce to backpacking -- they never quite
believe us on the lightweight (let alone ultralight) thing..."must have
deodorant" -- right! like that's going to make a difference after day 2...
! ).

Karen