[pct-l] RE: bear canisters

OK, I'll chime in with my two cents on this.

During my N-S JMT hike last year, my buddy and I used bear canisters,
with the following results.

Planning a four week hike with resupplies at Red's Mdw and VVR meant a
sixteen day stretch (VVR to Whitney), obviously beyond capacity for even
the largest canister.  We rolled the dice and counterbalanced the least
valuable (and least stinky) food, while storing spices, cheese, jerky,
trash etc. in the cans.  I repacked my canister almost daily and was
able to fit all food inside by Mather Pass. We had no food taken, but
spent a few uncomfortable nights worrying about the bags.

We had bears in camp in Yosemite (Forsyth Trail and Cathedral Lakes),
and below Forester Pass (camp at 11K!).  I would give serious credence
to the likelihood of getting "hung" food taken between Pinchot and
Forester.

My advice is to get used to the idea of an extra two pounds for a can,
bite the bullet and buy one.  I was a hardened counterbalancer for years
and never had anything taken; but let's face it, proper counterbalancing
is a pain, and seriously cuts into flyfishing/navel contemplation time
in the Sierra, which is why I'm there anyway.  A can also makes a great
camp seat.  I wouldn't trust a homemade can, the PVC/ABS end caps have
external ledges which a bear could get ahold of and pry open (never
underestimate a bear's strength or stubbornness).  IMHO,

Bill "DEETer" Sargent
JMT 98

PS Will everyone get in the habit of cleaning up replies so we all don't
have to read the same message eight times?  It's quite simple; click,
drag, delete!!  Thanks!