Re: [pct-l] Re: bear warning/info

Re: Stealth camping
I did not mean to imply that BJ expouses stealth camping. She does not.

The text uploaded by BJ and the text uploaded by me from sierrawilderness.com
may be the same incident. However, the sierrawilderness.com post implies far
more agressive, abnormal behavior then the text from BJ.

The text in question is:
>>One was protecting his food hang, the other had his food in his pack,
improperly stored.<<

The first incident implies that the camper was trying to scare the bear off
[protect his food hang] not trying to regain his food, The second incident
implies that the camper was hurt by the bear while the bear was getting food out
of the pack.

The text in Bj's post is:
>>Several campers have been scratched or bitten recently when they tried to
defend food not stored in bear-proof boxes or canisters.<<

This text also implies abnormal behavior, not a camper being hurt trying to
regain his food. [Everybody should know not to try to regain food. The NPS
advised this ten (10) years ago. This is not abnormal behavior]

In any event BOTH posts clearly say only bear boxs or bear canisters are
acceptable. Bear bagging and/or sleeping with food are not.