Re: [pct-l] Bear census

In a message dated 4/28/99 6:02:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
milt@backcountry.net writes:

<< Read Miller and I hiked from Tehachapi to Walker Pass last
Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun.  We saw lots of bear tracks on the trails, but did not see
any bears.  We had no way of knowing if the tracks were of one active bear
who liked to use the PCT or several bears.  We did not have any troubles with
our food. >>

When day-hiking in that area last year, a rather large bear loped across the
road near Robin Bird Spring (map F6). In checking the register about 1/2 mile
north of the spring, there had been three bear reports (from different
hikers) in 4 days. I assume we had/have a resident bear in that area. Hikers
should act accordingly.

Charlie Jones