Re: [pct-l] bear boxes

Bj-
Thanks for the info on bear boxs south of Cottenwood Pass. My post was "agrbled"
<grin>.
However, the information I have requires all hikers to use "bear box or bear
canister" in certain areas. You cannot bear bag or sleep with your food. My info
comes from www.sierrawilderness.com. I was also advised of this when I applied
for my Kearsarge Pass permit.

As for bears not snatching food from campers, I'm not so sure. The
sierrawilderness post also implies that a hiker was indeed hurt due to
"improperly stored food" another was hurt "protecting his food hang". This sure
implies REALLY agressive bears.

Now, the sierrawilderness.com post may be innacurate and/or the NPS may not have
the power to make these rules [Brick has asked about this] but the post sure
says otherwise.....

Here is the actual post ......You be the judge!

Bears are active in the Kearsarge Lakes, Bullfrog Lake, and Charlotte Lake
areas. They have been successful in obtaining food from food hangs in Center
Basin, and along the Bubbs Creek Drainage from Forester Pass through Vidette
Meadows and down to Cedar Grove. We have had two individuals injured
by bears in Center Basin and on the JMT/Bullfrog Crk Junction. One was
protecting his food hang, the other had his food in his pack, improperly stored,
 he
was cited.

If you are traveling in this area you must pay attention to proper food storage.
 Food hangs DO NOT WORK. Please be advised that if you intend to camp
 in any of these areas you MUST use the food storage boxes provided at Charlotte
 Lake, Kearsarge Lakes, Vidette Meadow, and Junction, Charlotte, and
Sphinx campsites along Bubbs Creek. If parties do not have individual food
canisters, they need to consider camps where food storage is available.

You are encouraged to make day trips into Center Basin, No Camping -- unless you
 have food storage.

Superintendent Mike Tollefson has approved a recommendation for a food storage
restriction in those areas mentioned above. This restriction states
that food must be stored in either an individual food canister or in the food
storage boxes provided. Food hangs will NOT be permitted.

Signs will be posted in the backcountry at at Kearsarge Pass, Forester Pass,
Charlotte Lake, and Cedar Grove and on bulletin boards throughout these areas.