[pct-l] Please Read: Adminitrative note

Some of the recent "rubber bullets and bear canisters" postings appear to be trolls.

I would like to remind everyone that flaming is not permitted on this list. If you feel obligated to question a list members intelligence/morals/sincerity/whatever, please do it privately off list.

Attacks directed towards a person ARE flames. Disagree with the ideas, but please do not  attack a person.

I have included a list of "Types of Trolls" from alt.flame for your enjoyment.

* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List Administrator
For info http://www.backcountry.net *

========begin copy ===========
Types of Trolls:

It is arguable that *any* flame is a troll. But most trolls
themselves are not necessarily flames. Trolls are designed
to evoke flames and (hopefully) lure victims into embarassing
newbie-like autoflame situations.

Here is a list of trolls for you to memorize and avoid.
Should you be ensnared by one, the secretary will disavow
any knowledge of your actions.

The King Troll - a boastful post like "I am the KING of a.f." etc.
*Very* common newbie mistake in this group.

The High Noon Troll - an offshoot of the King troll. A newbie
post calling veteran flamers to "give it their best shot".

The Rodney King Troll - any newbie post on the theme of "can't
we all just get along?"

The Ivory Tower Troll - any newbie truism about the value
of alt.flame as a newsgroup. (i.e. "This group shouldn't
exist!" and/or "You should all grow up!" etc.)

The Riddler Troll - any troll with an anagram of the word
"troll" in it. A troll that identifies itself as such.

The Gladstone Troll - an insincere request from a poster
that asks someone to be their "friend".

The Linton Troll - a troll that uses a sickly-sweet language
and/or faux-sincerity.

The NET-COP Troll - insincere and/or idle threats of spanking,
contacting of sysop, breaches of netiquette etc. (related to "The
Henley").

The Dirty-Work Troll - any post that asks a.f. denizens to flame
another person outside of the group.

The Feckless Newbie Idiot Troll - "Gee, what's this board about?"

The False Troll - a post that looks like a troll but is really
just some feckless newbie idiot who really wants to know,
"Gee, what's this board about?"

The Doomsday Troll - any threat of group-bombing and/or rmgrp
commands.

The Wishful Thinking Troll - any false claim that says "I'm leaving
this group next week!"

The "I'm Back" Troll - re-entry of an old flamer into the group.

The MAKE MONEY FAST Troll - any advertisement and/or pyramid scheme
posted to a.f.

The Norsk Kulture Troll - any post suggesting that Norway has
an interesting culture.

from http://www.la.dtu.dk/~hbm/alt.flame/trolls.txt