[pct-l] Forward from the Ultra Running list

I've done the JMT with this guy twice. He makes "Ray" look mainstream, but he has some very good points. I'm posting it here because it seed germain to the topics on the list.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:52:14 -0700
From:    Robert Thomas <thomasrb@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject: RE Backpacks to run with

Hello

Personally I have fastpacked the John Muir trail 12 times, organized 6
group trips of the John Muir trail and have done numerous other smaller
trips. Over the course of doing these trips I have made my own packs and
almost all other equipment used.  I have gone through about 5 different
variations of pack design. The last pack I made weighed approximately 13
ounces and worked very well, it's strong but not bomb proof. I think it
would be hard to get under 10 ounces for a pack that will work well for
multiday fastpacking.

  I think you need a full suspension system for comfort. It is a mistake to
only have shoulder straps. Other features to look for and or add are several
small pouches in front on the bellyband. These can be used to hold snack
foods, maps, gloves, sunscreen or what ever. I also like outside water
bottle holders and an internal water bladder holder. I like using a smaller
size pack that can hold all equipment and 2-4 days of food. Utilizing an
removable under bag to hold only extra food, using it only for longer trips.
This keeps the pack smaller and lighter for shorter trip and makes it easier
to run with.

One way to get a really lightweight pack is to copy a good quality pack of
the proper size and design that is just made with heavy materials. Make this
copy with 1.1-ounce ripstop nylon and use very small size straps, buckles
and zippers. The padding can also be made thinner to lighten the pack
weight. The pack also needs to have no extra bells and whistles if you want
to keep the total weight down. I have seen lightweight copies of Ultimate
direction packs that still retain some heavy features, weigh one and a half
pounds.

It is possible to get the total weight down of all equipment used too
approximately 6-7 pounds, while maintaining comfort and safety.  This weight
includes no food, water or basic running outfit worn (shoes, socks, shorts,
and top) but everything else. This weight would be for a rainy, summer trip
where the temperature could get down to freezing, like a summer John Muir
Trail trip.  If it is warmer it could be several pounds less.  This includes
taking all standard items necessary for comfort and safety, like sleeping
bags, ground mats, bivy's, three layers of clothes and cooking gear etc. All
these items need to be super light to reach this very lightweight total weight.

This 6-7 pounds is a standard to try and attain for this type of trip. If
you are caring much more equipment weight than this, it is unnecessary.

I hesitate to mention but for sake of argument, right now I am about
halfway through working on a how to guide book about fastpacking in general
and including fastpacking the John Muir Trail in particular.

Also I am nearing completion manufacturing a super lightweight fastpack that
will be full featured, weighing approximately one pound, utilizing the most
hi tec materials like super strong Spectra fiber pack cloth and soft,
resilient, durable, nitrogen impregnated foam. Large enough to do a weeklong

trip but small enough to not want anything smaller for a weekend trip. With
luck they will be available in 3-5 months.

  Best Regards
  Robert Thomas

--
Brick Robbins                     Life is a Journey, not a Destination
mailto:brick@fastpack.com        http://www.fastpack.com/brick